Tuesday, November 30, 2004

why agnostic

A reader asked me to post my objections to religious belief. I object most to monotheism, so I will limit myself to Christianity, the form of monotheism I am most familiar with. I am simply unwilling to worship a deity that sentences all non-believers to eternal punishment. Most societies mete out punishments to offenders that are proportional to the severity of the offense. Evidently, there is no graver offense against Yahweh than lack of belief. But unless I am mistaken, one can also be condemned to eternal punishment for other grave sins, and I think it's just that evil-doers be punished in the afterlife if they avoided punishment in life. The question then becomes, why such a severe punishment for the non-violent, victimless offense of non-belief? Why should Bertrand Russell, to name one atheist, and Adolph Hitler receive the identical punishment? It seems irrational to me that genocide be treated the same as skepticism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home