Thursday, October 28, 2004

text

I once had an English professor, who had TEXT tattooed on her person (at least, that's what she told us in class.) One of my great pleasures in life is being absorbed in a book. The last time this happened was Stephen King's Dark Tower vol. 7. It may be the literary equivalent of retro/nostalgia on a par with classic rock, but I rely on writers I've read & loved. Alas, many of them are deceased. Perhaps it's a sign of age when your favorite musicians and writers are mainly defunct. One of my fave writers who's still alive, Lawrence Block, quoted the late comedian George Burns, as quipping, "when you're my age, most of your friends are dead." Well, I haven't reached that point, yet.

I'm going to shift focus to the future and mention that my upcoming trip to Pohnpei was largely the result of reading The Island of the Color Blind by Dr. Oliver Sacks. I strongly recommend his chapter on Pohnpei to anyone who wishes to understand my fascination with this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home